Many homes have popcorn ceilings or textured paint ceilings as a means of decoration and sound-proofing. They are very popular, and they do the job as intended. However, if these ceilings get damaged, especially by water, they can be expensive and troublesome to repair. In this article, we’ll check how to repair popcorn ceiling water damage.
One of the most common reasons for water damage to a popcorn ceiling is a leaky roof. You can also see damage when there are leaky pipes upstairs and it seeps into the downstairs ceiling. Water stains on a ceiling will show easily, usually as a darker patch in the paint or a yellow-tinted stain. However, when this damage happens in the popcorn ceilings, it’s not such an easy fix.
Here’s what you need to know about how to repair popcorn ceiling water damage.
- Identify the source of the damage and be sure it is completely resolved before attempting to fix the ceiling. This means you make sure all leaks are repairs and that the area is completely dry. If you don’t properly fix the source of the water, the problem will just return.
- Next, identify the damaged area. See how much of the ceiling is damage and keep in mind that you will need to repair slightly larger than just the damaged area as well. You will need to prep the area by scraping off any flaking paint or damaged texture.
- You want to go about one inch around the damaged area and remove all the pain and texture. Next, sand the surface down well.
- Wipe the area with a damp cloth and apply a high-quality primer. You want to ensure you let the primer dry completely before moving on to the next step, so some people like to leave this overnight.
- Use your popcorn ceiling patch product to patch in the damaged areas. Choosing the right patch product is very important. You will get the best results from a mix-it-yourself product.
- Apply your patch product according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Moisture is no friend to the popcorn ceiling, and this can be a very messy job to repair on your own. You may decide that it’s best to hire a professional to ensure it’s all done correctly. If you’re a big DIY-er, then hopefully these tips will help you.